If you are importing staff & pupils we recommend you import staff before pupils. This allows the import process to pair pupils with their instructors.
You can download a template CSV file for use with a spreadsheet application from here: Download Template CSV File.
Full details of required and optional fields are listed below. Your import CSV file does not have to contain a header record and the fields do not have to appear in any particular order. The import process allows you map fields in your file to the fields listed below.
- First Names - text field.
- Surname - text field.
- Login Email - email field - this will be used to create the staff member's account and optionally send them a welcome email. This must be unique, two users cannot share the the same login email address.
- Is Instructor? - true/false field - Should be 'True' if the staff member is an instructor. 'False' is they are not. If not provided we will assume 'False'. Their account will be created with the Instructor role.
- Is Office Admin? - true/false field - Should be 'True' if the staff member is an office admin. 'False' is they are not. If not provided we will assume 'False'. Their account will be created with the Office Admin role.
- Is School Admin? - true/false field - Should be 'True' if the school member is an office admin. 'False' is they are not. If not provided we will assume 'False'. Their account will be created with the School Admin role.
- Address Line 1 - text field.
- Address Line 2 - text field.
- Address Line 3 - text field.
- Address Town - text field.
- Address County - text field.
- Address Post Code - text field.
- Mobile Telephone - text field.
- Landline Telephone - text field.
- DSA ADI Number - text field - reassures your pupils that your instructor is professional.
If at least one role (Instructor, Office Admin, School Admin) has not been specified for a given staff member, either because the fields are 'False' or have not been included, the import process will place them into the Instructor role.
The first step is simply concerned with uploading your raw data file:
- Import Type - choose the type of data you wish to import. Choose 'Staff'.
- File Upload - Click this to be shown a file chooser. Once you have chosen your file it will be automatically uploaded and checked.
- Download a Template File - using this link you can download a template CSV file for use with a spreadsheet application.
- Upload & Check Status - indicates whether your uploaded file has been successfully uploaded, checked and read.
- Next - once you have uploaded your file you can click this to proceed to the next step.
The step allows you to map fields in your uploaded data file with the required and optional columns.This is known as Column Mapping.
You will be presented with a list containing a sample of up to the first 5 records from your data file, this allows you to identify fields based on their content. If your data contains a header record this will appear as the first record in this list, making identification of columns even easier. You will be able to exclude the header record from import in the next step.
Initially columns will be mapped based on the order in which they appear within their respective records.You should check all column mappings to make sure they are correct for your data.
- Required Columns - shows required column mappings. All required columns must be mapped to continue to the next step. A tick indicates that the column has been mapped; a question mark that it is not mapped.
- Optional Columns - shows optional column mappings. The more of these columns you provide the less data you will need to enter at a later date. A tick indicates that the column has been mapped; a question mark that it is not mapped.
- Mapping - the name of the import column which is currently mapped to this data field position. Use the drop down to change the mappings.
- Data Record - contains the individual data fields as read from your uploaded data file.
- Next - once you have mapped all required columns you can click this to proceed to the next step.
This step will allow you to check, and if necessary adjust, all of your uploaded data records. The import process performs validation on all of your data fields, based on the column mappings defined in the last step.
If you realise you have made a mistake with your column mappings at this stage you can use the 'Prev' button to return to the previous step.
- Data Summary.
- Valid Indicator - indicates if a record is valid. If the record has one or more invalid fields a red warning triangle will be shown. See Correcting Invalid Records for more details.
- Import Toggle - un-toggle this if you wish to prevent record from being imported. See Excluding Records from Import for more details.
- Data Record, Invalid Field - a red background indicates an invalid field. Click the record to adjust the data. See Correcting Invalid Records for more details.
- Validation Error - If some of your records include invalid fields you will see this message. You will also be unable to proceed to the next and final step.
- Next - once all of your records have either successfully validated or have been ignored for import you will be able to click this to proceed to the next and final step.
There are circumstances where you may wish to prevent a specific data record from being imported, for example:
- a header record from your original data file that you need to exclude.
- a record that will not validate that you will deal with later. You can exclude it to allow you proceed with importing the bulk of data.
If you wish to exclude a record simply un-toggle the record's 'Import?' toggle. The row will be 'crossed out' to show that it has been excluded:
The row will also be excluded from validation, allowing you to skip problem rows. See Correcting Invalid Records for details on how you can correct and avoid skipping problematic rows.
If you have rows that will not pass validation, you can correct problematic fields. Simpy click on the row to show the 'Adjust Import Data Record' popup:
Fields that have failed validation will be shown with a red border and have a validation failure message below.
Text fields can simply be edited as any other text.
Email fields must be valid email address. The 'Login Email' address must also be unique within the app.
True/False fields will give you a drop down to select a valid value from.
The final step simply allows you to the start import process.
If you realise you have made a mistake with your in one of the previous steps at this stage you can use the 'Prev' button to return to the previous step.
- Toggle this to send/not-send welcome messages to new users. These messages will include details on how to log in to the app and a system generated password.
- Import Status - shows you how the import is progressing once you have clicked the 'Import My Data' button.If an error occurs that will shown here too.
- Import My Data - once you are happy and ready to import your data you should click this button. The import may take several minutes.